One of my favorite songs is “Imagine”–the best-selling single song in the career of John Lennon. According to Wikipedia, John and his wife Ono had received a Christian prayer book which inspired him to write “Imagine”—lyrics that encouraged listeners to imagine a peaceful world with no borders or divisions of religion and nationalities. Unfortunately, John Lennon died when a “fan” put four bullets into his back. His plea for peace had not been heard by the 25-year old man who shot him.
Besides trying to image a world full of peace, I like to imagine what life would be like if I could live my dreams for a more peaceful world:
- Imagine a life in which in which you can be free to express your dreams and needs;
- a life without the fear of being judged by others;
- not feeling responsible for controlling anyone else and their opinions;
- living without judging others and with readily forgiving those who step on your last nerve;
- living and working in an environment without the fear of loving and not being loved in return;
- not being afraid to take a risk and to improve your life;
- and in which you can love yourself, including your emotions, just the way you are.
Dear Lord, help us imagine our dreams coming true, because you are the God of all possibilities. Amen.